The first 8 weeks of my summer consist of an internship at a Trauma One hospital. I am working on the intensive care unit with patients who have experienced trauma, cardiac, neurological, surgical, burn, or general medical issues. As far as physical therapy goes, most treatments consist of passive range of motion, where I basically move my patient to keep them from getting too stiff or tight, and then transfer them from the bed to the chair (if they are medically stable). For those patients that can understand what I'm asking of them and who have the strength, I assist them with active range of motion, where the patient attempts to perform the movement themself. Although rare, I have walked with a few patients, but the distance has been very limited.
As far as trauma is concerned, the most common reason people are admitted include motorcycle accidents (UNHELMETED, might I add), motor vehicle crashes, or car vs. pedestrian incidents. The injuries are usually extensive - I have seen fractures so involved that one bone looks like four or more on the x-rays. I have seen an open book pelvic fracture, which basically means that the two pelvic bones spread far apart (as if opening a book). Many of my patients have experienced head injuries that affect their function, cognition, and behavior - and as a result, some become very agited and combative and require restraints on their hands and legs. It is always an unknown adventure when I release their restraints in order to move them around. I have worked with someone with a spinal cord injury that now has no function of his arms or legs. In addition, I have seen a couple of burn patients, one of which was involved in an explosion and the other who lit herself on fire - both with approximately 40% of their body involved. Many others have had bleeds in their brain, back and heart surgery, cancer, amputations, and various other medical complications.
About 75% of these patients are intubated (with a tube going down their mouth to the lungs) or have a trach (with a tube entering the front of the neck and going down to the lungs). They typically have an a-line (arterial line) which helps get an accurate measure of blood pressure, a feeding tube, multiple IVs, an additional blood pressure cuff around their arm, an O2 sat measuring the amount of oxygen they are receiving, a catheter, and often times a chest tube that drains fluid and/or blood from around their lungs. My first reaction to all of these lines and wires and tubes was one of uncertainty. I had no idea how I would ever learn to work around them, what I would do when the monitors start beeping and making noises at me, and more importantly, how would a person requiring so much assitance/medical attention ever get better??
Over the past two weeks, I have seen progress made by patients who, prior, could do nothing else but stare into space. I know that these patients will never remember who I am or perhaps that they ever received physical therapy, but I also know that I will not forget them. Working in such a setting is a real eye opener. I have noticed a change in the way that I drive and I find myself being more aware of the blessings in my life. Unfortunate for Robbie, but my argument against a motorcycle in the future is now stronger than ever.
We all know that we shouldn't take things for granted, but how easy is it to fall into a routine and not notice the simplest things about life? Be thankful.. thankful that you're not relying on a machine to take your next breath.. grateful that you can move your arms and legs when you want or without having to think about it.. appreciate the fact that you're not strapped down to a bed, relying on others to tend to your every need.. and most importantly, give thanks to God who makes all this possible..
Friday, May 15, 2009
INTENSIVE CARE, INTENSE EXPERIENCE
Posted by Debra at 6:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Loved this entry. I can honestly say that working in an ICU setting is such a blessing .. in order to take the good from the situations you are faced with and to be reminded of how precious life is.
Sounds like you're having an awesome experience and I'm very glad about that.
Post a Comment