Thursday, January 11, 2007

FIRST WEEK JITTERS

I'm sure we're all familiar with the movie Billy Madison and Adam Sandler's famous quote, "Back to school.. back to school.. to prove to Dad I'm not a fool". That exact thought popped into my head at the beginning of this week. Mine had a similar sequence, but with a bit of a twist: "Back to class.. back to class.. to prove to Grad School that I can pass!" It's often dreadful returning to a schedule that I had just gotten used to being without. During the holiday, if I felt like leaving my house at 7:30am and coming home at 11:00pm, it was because I chose to; not because I was at class and clinical the whole time. However, I did have to convince myself that the sooner I began, the sooner it would end. In comparison to every other semester, this one (my last) has the least number of hours. You would think that makes it easier, right? WRONG! The classes are more involved and require much more thought. One class incorporates information we have learned from August 15, 2005. (How dare they!) Repetition never hurt anyone, but when your grade depends on it, it tends to sting a bit. This main purpose of this class is to prepare us to take the NATABOC (National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification) Exam. You think saying the name is hard? Try taking it!

As much complaining as I have just done, I will say that it is not as bad as it could be. Take my zoology class for example. FYI: the University of St. Augustine requires 6 credit hours in biology and strangely enough, zoology counts as a biology. I understand it's a branch of bio. but I do not see any overlap between this and physical therapy - unless my patients are lions and tigers and bears - OH MY! So this zoology.. complete waste of time. On March 16, I get to take a field trip (around FCCJ's campus) and collect bugs. Yes, you heard it.. *c*o*l*l*e*c*t* *b*u*g*s*. Oh how my anticipation rises... Perhaps the labs would be cool, right? Nope.. I'm dissecting flat worms, round worms, and earth worms.. maybe my professor should consider no worms.. now that would be great! I know I have a bit of a "medical" mind, or "sick" as some people may say, but I like the idea of working on another cadaver, as I did a year ago.. at least that is applicable to my love for the human body and how it works.

In addition to the academic side of my semester, I have one more clinical rotation. I am working with an athletic trainer/physical therapist at a Hearland Rehabilitation clinic, and so far, so good. The guy is amazing, and I am already learning a lot. I've spent two days there, and I feel comfortable with how things are run. I am taking patients through their rehab program and am loving every minute of it! Can you imagine how much more I'll love it when I'm actually getting paid to do it?

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

Love this post!! You are so funny:) At least your zoology class isn't really hard and one more thing you have to spend 10 hrs a week studying for, right? And your right, medical, sick - pretty interchangable:)